Deploy a fully functional cloud in minutes
MicroClouds are built with simplicity and automation in mind. With MicroClouds, both deployment and on-site operations are automated with low to no on-site maintenance, regardless of whether you’re running it at the back of the office or at a hard-to-reach remote edge site.
Secure with hassle-free updates
While smaller in scale, your MicroClouds will still likely process big amounts of data. They may also run sensitive workloads. Security and prompt vulnerability updates are the key priorities to ensure your data is kept safe. MicroCloud components are packaged using snaps, providing an extra layer of isolation while enabling worry-free updates.
Cost and resource efficient
In addition to standard Ubuntu Server or Desktop, MicroClouds can also be run on Ubuntu Core - a lightweight OS optimised for the edge. Combined with Ubuntu Core, users get a truly lightweight cloud, giving you resource efficiency without compromising on performance, while keeping costs at bay.
What is the size of a MicroCloud?
MicroClouds are highly available by default, so a minimum of 3 systems are needed.
They can easily extend in site size and scale from a small 3-node to larger 12-node clusters.
- Runs virtual machines, or system containers for higher density
- Easily replicated at scale
- Fully open-source, with commercial support available through Canonical
Edge computing at a large scale
Industrial, Telco, Retail, Banking - MicroClouds are the perfect edge computing solution for any industry:
- Scalable and low-latency HA cluster for critical applications
- Lightweight to run on small servers or low-cost small devices
- Low-touch, self-healing, few to no human interactions needed
Read more about MicroClouds for the edge in this whitepaper
Small-scale private cloud
Do you need to keep sensitive workloads in a controlled environment, or are public cloud costs too unpredictable for your business? MicroClouds are an efficient solution for your small-scale private cloud needs.
- Resource-efficient to keep costs at bay
- Simple to deploy and operate
- Easy to scale as your needs grow
Efficient dev environment
MicroCloud is lightweight enough that it can run on a developer laptop. You can use it for:
- Lightweight and constrained disposable testing environments
- Simulating or testing complex infrastructure processes
- Simulating how your workloads would run in production
- Safely experimenting with new technologies
Setting up a dev environment with LXD offers some useful tips.
Integrate with the best hardware vendors
Ubuntu works with a number of hardware vendors specialised in edge computing server equipment. Contact us to discuss working with your preferred vendors.
All the benefits of a cloud, but localised
MicroClouds are low-touch, efficient and reliable. Do you have a use case in mind? Get in touch with our team.Talk to an expert